Oval Karting, eSports among Many Fun Activities This Month at IMS Fan Midway
The Fan Midway - located in the IMS infield just north of Pagoda Plaza — is open during the INDYCAR Grand Prix on Friday, May 10 and Saturday, May 11 and during the Indianapolis 500 presented by Gainbridge on Friday, May 17, Saturday, May 18, Sunday, May 19, Friday, May 24, Saturday, May 25 and Sunday, May 26.
Admission to the Fan Midway is free for all ticketed fans. It opens each day when public gates open. Check event schedules at IMS.com for daily closing times.
Speedway Indoor Karting returns this year to offer competition in the Fan Midway for $5 per race, with a new oval track that allows fans to emulate their Indy 500 heroes against up to five other racers. The minimum participant age is 14, with a minimum height requirement of 4 feet, 4 inches. All participants must sign waivers.
The huge growth of eSports also will be reflected this year in the Fan Midway. Simulator units at the Firestone Fan Experience will allow fans to participate in Forza Motorsport 7 and lap around the IMS oval. Another major eSports competition on Legends Day presented by Firestone, Saturday, May 25, also will be announced soon.
Numerous NTT IndyCar Series and IMS partners will have displays and interactive activities in the Fan Midway, including:
- U.S. Air Force: The Air Force Performance Lab features a futuristic experience full of challenges and self-discovery, all wrapped in innovative technology. The Hangar provides a behind-the-scenes look for mechanically inclined fans at technology and structures used by airmen every day.
- Chevy Racing: A number of Chevrolet's award-wining production lineup will be on display for fans to see and learn about, including Camaro, Corvette, Equinox, Traverse, Tahoe, Malibu, Colorado and the all-new Silverado. There also will be an array of parts and accessories from Chevrolet Performance for many of the vehicles on display. In addition, adults and kids can participate in a number of interactive games, including racing simulators. All of the Team Chevy NTT IndyCar Series stars will appear at the display for a fan Q & A sessions.
- Firestone Fan Experience: Fans can create and share a Legendary Moment with their friends, get an airbrush tattoo, see all the latest Firestone tires and get a coupon courtesy of Firestone Complete Auto Care. The Firestone Fan Experience also celebrates the 50th anniversary of Mario Andretti's Indy 500 win.
- Gainbridge: Fans can capture memories at the race-themed photo booth featuring the No. 26 Andretti Autosport Gainbridge show car, win fun giveaways, and enter to win an all-expenses paid VIP weekend package for two to the 2020 Indy 500.
- Group1001: An exclusive Virtual Reality experience is the highlight of Group1001's display, featuring the No. 26 Andretti Autosport Gainbridge Honda with Zach Veach in a way that provides fans with a unique, up-close and interactive view.
- Geico Racing Fan Zone: GEICO is offering a new Pit Stop Challenge, an authentic flag stand photo op with fans waving the checkered flag, motorcycle displays, free swag at the GEICO Garage, a chance to win a $500 gift card and an opportunity to meet the GEICO Gecko.
- History on Wheels (INDYCAR Grand Prix weekend only): An interactive, multimedia "History on Wheels" display from the Indiana Historical Society featuring the rich heritage of more than a century of racing in the Hoosier State.
- IMS Kids Zone: The IMS Kids Zone will offer many free activities for younger race fans and their families. Attractions include music, dancing, games, prizes and visit from IMS mascots Axel and Alley.
- Red Gold: The Red Gold cart will feature different condiments available among the Red Gold line of products, as well as Red Gold salsa and Red Gold petite diced tomatoes with green chilies.